Chickpeace Zero Waste Refillery
10-Punch Compost Card
We offer an in-store composting service via Spa Hills. Bring your organic waste and turn them into soil!
What is Accepted?
Spa Hills has an industrial composting facility, which means everything gets composted at a high heat and can break down a wider variety of materials than a traditional backyard compost system. They accept a wide range of food scraps (including bones, fats, ect), coffee, tea bags, paper products (including boxes, flyers, magazines, newspapers, food wrapping, compostable containers, greasy paper takeout containers, ect.), and yard waste.
For more information, please reference the full list of accepted items.
What is Included in 1 Punch?
1 Punch on the Compost Card is equivalent to 10L of compost. This can look like:
- 1 small compost pail (most brands we sell are this size, averaging about 10L)
- half of a green Large Spa Hills composter (23L).
- half of a 20L (5 gallon) pail. These pails are common at Chickpeace, and can be found carrying Mint Cleaning, Nellie's, Carina Organics, and other similar products.
- One full 10L (2.5 gallon) pail. Less common, but can also be found at Chickpeace, typically carrying bulk liquid food products.
Bring as much as you'd like!
How to Redeem:
You can use the service without purchasing a Compost Card (pay per use), but we find using the Compost Card streamlines the customer's experience. The Compost Card is a digital count kept on our system and not a physical card (hello zero waste). The card is attached to the customer's account.
Please bring your compost into the store, in your container of choice (anything works!), and tie your compostable bag if you use one. A team member will empty your bin and return it to you. Bonus points if you bag, tie AND freeze your compost!
Let the team member know you have a Compost Card and give them the account name. They will then let you know how many punches you have left on the card.
Tips and Tricks:
If you are hesitant to compost, these tips and tricks will help keep things a little cleaner.
- Line your bin. Our personal faves are compostable bags, or old paper products (cereal boxes, newspapers, paper bags, ect.)
- Bring your compost to Chickpeace frequently. The less time it has to sit in your house, the fresher it will be.
- If your compost is too wet, add in some dry absorbant materials. The best options for this are paper products, or Bin Breeze powder. Bin Breeze is a great addition for absorbing moisture and smell, and mitigating the growth of unwanted pests.
- If you have the space, freeze your compost! This will help to mitigate decomposition and keep things fresh for longer.
- If you don't have extra freezer space, do your best to keep your compost bin in a cool area. Heat will speed up the rate of decomposition.
If Purchasing as a Gift:
Please leave the recipient's full name and email in the notes section at checkout. This will ensure we attach the compost card to the correct account in-store, or can set up an account if needed.
If Purchasing for Yourself:
Nothing extra needs to be done! We can use your name and email from your order to locate your account in-store, or set up an account if needed.
Composting and redemption of the compost card is for in-store use only.
10-Punch Compost Card